March heralds our 5 year old birthday! deliberatepractice was launched in March 2010. Planning had begun in the winter of 2009 with the world still reeling from the GFC. The founders believed this was the ideal time to start a business; although many of our friends held a counter view! We didn’t know precisely what would emerge from the GFC but what we did know was that it wouldn’t be ‘business as usual’, in fact business as we knew it would never be the same again.
Our read on the market was that clients would demand greater value for money with services that would link more directly to ROI. Moreover there would be a demand for greater people related returns, faster than had previously been the case. From a shared values and viewpoint we could see through our lens that the market was changing; that organisations, clients and candidates could be better listened and responded to; we are here today proudly partnering with and supporting many amazing businesses in achieving their vision, and building enduring relationships with inspiring individuals. This derives from a genesis of ideas and values, combined with a strong passion to work positively and creatively with our clients.
Launching and running a business is an enlightening experience – you never, ever stop learning! There are fun times, rewarding times and hard times, but the learning goes on. There are many elements that have underpinned our success, too many to list entirely.
Here are 7 tips that we use, that are universally relevant if you are considering launching a business, regardless of whether you are an employee or a business owner:
- Vision – Be clear about what you are doing and why you are doing it – shout it from the tree tops. Steer the boat from the helm; not from the wake and plan for navigational change. Sure, be appropriately flexible with your vision, identify the risks and their mitigation, but maintain one!
- Courage – Have courage and conviction for what you value, believe in, and are skilled in. This will inform all your business decisions, large and small. It will get you through the tough times; and there will be tough times.
- Listen – Whether in your industry or not, if you like them or don’t, every person’s point of view has merit and will shape our world of work. Listen, absorb information and remember that your organisation &/or role is only relevant if it serves a purpose in today and tomorrow’s world;
- Advice – Certain people will know you and your business quite well. Actively listen to and reflect on their questions, and their advice;
- Balance – This means different things to every person, however, the healthier the body, the healthier the mind and the clearer the pathway ahead. Balance needs to be supported – for all stakeholders including yourself.
- Giving – The more you give, the more you live. We are lucky, as our work significantly and directly impacts many individuals – this brings great inspiration and satisfaction.
- Team – By efficiently harnessing collective wisdom you have the incredible power to offer your stakeholders an entirely unique proposition.
And whilst we reflect on our first 5 years, today is also a very different birthday – it is the first day of our next 5 years! Our focus on listening to, understanding and assisting individuals to achieve their career aspirations has never been sharper as is our passion to significantly and positively impact organisational and individual success.
We are proud of our capability, our team and the organisations and individuals whose careers are entrusted to us. We look forward to continuing our partnerships and helping organisations and people ‘see change work’.
We hope you can continue to be a key part of our journey.